View Single Post
Old 04-12-2006, 05:37 PM
Administrator

Default Why do we collect?

Posted By: Joann

I look at card collecting much like kite flying. It's something that I can do, every day or not, hours on end or maybe only an hour or so, whatever, and not think about anything else. Whether reading this board, flipping through REA catalog, or trying to pop a fade out of an axel or pancake (kite tricks ), that is the only thing I think about.

This is what I tell people about kites, and it applies as well to baseball card collecting: It's hard enough, or requires enough attention, that I can't mentally drift off into the problems of the day - it takes just enough focus to distract me. On the other hand, it's not so difficult that it becomes the next problem of the day. I don't want my relaxation to be as taxing as work and school.

I like collecting because it is kind of a come and go thing. You can do it for awhile, but if you get busy (like start law school), you can stop and not really lose anything. I also like finding something that fits just the right slot in the collection. In gathering (hee) Detroit player cards, it was kind of cool to get past the T206, T205, E92, etc (although I still look for other cards in those sets) and run across the E97 or N28.

And I like collecting vintage baseball cards because they are gorgeous and they hit an emotional spot for baseball, and historical baseball in particular.

Finals week. Back to studying. Just had to take 2 minutes out for this one though!

Joann