View Single Post
Old 02-22-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Again, I'm lost. Plenty of people brought up what the future holds for the hobby. In fact, it's a topic frequently discussed. I'm not trying to change your mind. I don't care what you do with your cards. I'm sharing my opinions because I'm a collector who has thought about these things too.
In the second half of the 80s, multi-millionaires and billionaires entered the hobby. People who own their own companies, some who own sports teams. Dealers called them "whales." It doesn't matter that baby boomers are dying off. Your posts and negativity make no sense. This thread is about Heritage Platinum Night and the prices their auction brings. The top 1% is the primary audience for this auction, not baby boomers or your average collector. It doesn't matter if there are 5 or 5 millions average collectors, it won't change these prices at all.

Barring a complete collapse of the US economy, this dynamic is never changing. There will always be super rich. There will always be sports. The hobby will be fine. The number of people watching baseball has been on the decline over the last ~20 years. Yet still salaries continue to rise. Values of franchises continue to rise. Values of quality cards and collectibles like in Heritage will continue to rise. Your collapse is not happening.