View Single Post
Old 03-24-2011, 12:50 PM

Default Thoughts on BVG (1950s - 1980s)?

Hi,

So I know that much has been written on this topic, but just trying to gather more insight on for myself (I have many previous threads). For postwar cards, for a personal collection, I am trying to collect cards of players I like, and the label on the card matters less to me than having a really nice quality card. However, what I absolutely don't want is a card that has been altered or trimmed in any way.

Which leads to my BVG question--I know PSA has the lion's share of the postwar market, but what is popular consensus today on BVG and their quality? Does the reputation around grading sheet cut cards still exist? Was this ever common for 1950s and 1960s topps card?

For many cards I am looking for I have seen high-end BVG cards on ebay, some that are the highest graded (saw a BVG 9 1959 Topps Bob Gibson a couple months back, a 9.5 Munson rookie, etc.). Recently sold cards include a 1958 Topps Mantle BVG 8.5 ($2k) and a 1957 Topps Drysdale BVG 9 (highest graded), etc. Some of these cards look absolutely AMAZING in ebay scans and I can't really tell, from the picture, how "good" the card is.

Some BVG cards tend to undersell PSA/SGC, and I would like to know if there is something as a buyer I should know or would I just be getting a good deal? Should I be worried the card could be trimmed? or is BVG a good bet, if the card can be had for half the price of a PSA/SGC equivalent?

Again, all I can see are photos of the card front, but the card do look good--but i've heard horror stories about EOT on crossing, as well as success stories. This thread is not meant to start a bashing war on any TPG. I just would like some professional wisdom shared with me. thanks.