View Single Post
Old 11-18-2014, 03:34 PM
Richard Simon

Hot off the presses, the story grows,,,, ( this story is online at http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sp...raphs-a/nh9fq/ )

Credit the Palm Beach Post:

Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston identified scores of items bearing his signature that were forgeries, sources told the Palm Beach Post.

Winston sat down with FSU compliance officials one month ago to look at the memorabilia being sold online bearing his signature after ESPN reported that thousands of authenticated items were for sale. He was able to point out several signatures that he said were forged and several items that had his signature that he knew he had not signed.

"When he looked at the initial website mentioned by ESPN, he looked at multiple things and said that wasn't his signature," said a source.

Winston viewed items such as jerseys, mini helmets, photos among others with his signature.

ESPN reported Tuesday that one authentication company is questioning the legitimacy of thousands of items being sold with Winston's signature.

The items in question were authenticated by James Spence Authentication. A competitor, PSA/DNA, did not authenticate those items after questioning if Winston ever signed them.

The report said a Florida memorabilia dealer was hoping to get Winston to sign a large amount of items last winter. Even after Winston refused, the dealer produced a batch of items with Winston's name signed to them. No witnesses to Winston signing the items has been found.

ESPN found more than 2,000 certified Winston autographs on JSA's website last month and raised the issue of whether Winston was paid for the signatures, which would be an NCAA violation.

Five days after ESPN's initial report, Florida State released a statement saying it had no information or evidence that Winston was paid. Since arriving at Florida State in 2012, Winston has autographed thousands of items. He has signed thousands at one sitting during fan days or while attending award ceremonies following his Heisman Trophy and national championship winning 2013 season. He also sometimes would sign hundreds a day while he was a member of the FSU baseball team.

Winston has said he tries to avoid signing multiple items for the same person and turns down requests from people who he believes to be dealers.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 11-18-2014 at 03:36 PM.