View Single Post
Old 11-16-2017, 11:58 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by markf31 View Post
Not even one win though in 195 items that were bid on, makes this even more strange and odd to me. I understand the scenario you laid out but on 195 items bid on, the odds of never once winning by accident seems incredibly small.

Take your example of a auction currently at $500. Ebay bidding increments state (I think) that the next bid has to be at least $10 over, so if they try to shill bid at $510, it is entirely possible the previous high bid was only $505 and now the shill becomes the high bidder. But that never once happened on 195 items and 833 bids.

I do believe something is up here, but I dont think its as straight forward as blind shill bidding.
I hate to add to Dan's description on how to shill bid. The part you are not understanding is even if the shill bidder does accidentally become the top bidder in the last day. They still have all the snipe bidders to fall back on. Thats right snipe bidding helps shillers sometimes. Even if knowing how to shill up to a persons top bid and the snipers don't save one of your shilling accounts from winning, they can just cancel the transaction with themselves/friend.