View Single Post
Old 09-17-2005, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Default Best Auction Catalog ?

Posted By: BlackSoxFan

DJ -
Good points.
Perhaps my question was oversimplified. At the end of the day, an auction house is going to be successful due to a combination of the following: quality and/or rarity of items/customer service/competitiveness of rates. I guess my questions should have read something like: Assuming all other things equal, do you feel website or catalogue is more important to the success? As a fledgling auction business, we are taking a very different approach to running this business than traditional lots. While it is no secret that my passion is with vintage baseball cards ... we also specialize in Lighters, Fountain Pens, Watches, and other collectibles. We are also very capable with computer equipment and other electronics. Our process allows us to offer quicker turn-around with items, lower commission rates, and quicker delivery of goods. We are somewhere on the map between places like Sotheby's/Christie's/Mastron/Lelands/etc..etc.. and auctiondrop/isoldit/snappyauctions. To get back on topic, i have never even considered catalogue auctions because of the nature of our business. It is in part what drives costs up. We have every intention of having some "announced" auctions, but at this time, we don't plan on doing that. The business needs to generate enough volume for us to be able to implement some of our other tricks...i'm a child of the computer age, for better or worse, i think that will allow us to really shock you guys with some great toys and tricks. We just have to keep growing.
I believe that the most important aspect of our business is customer service. We always want to get the most money for our clients' products. However, we have also run into some really cookie and unusual customers..which is why we have recieved 3 negative feedbacks in the last year on eBay. I refuse to be bullied by a customer at the danger of exposing our clients privacy or because of buyers always looking for something for nothing. Alright, enough of my digression, i'm here working the rest of the night, but i guess i would like to know how important the catalogue is to the success of the auction.

Regards,
Black Sox Fan

- - - - - - - - -

I'm Smart Enough To Know, There Are A Lot Of People Who Know More Than I Know

BlackSoxFan.com
email me