View Single Post
Old 03-31-2008, 07:10 AM
Administrator

Default T206 PSA PLANK Just listed for sale!

Posted By: Joseph Shirley

Hi everyone! I am new to this forum. I am a long time stamp and coin collector, but only been into T206's for about 4 years. I have been lurking around here for about a week, and have been very impressed with the knowledgable collectors here. I will definately expand my knowledge of T206's listening to many of you here. Just wanted to post a thought about restored/altered cards.

I found some of the opinions that restored cards should be removed from the market and destroyed very interesting. I do not think that will ever happen. The best way to see how this will evolve, is simply to look at the postage stamp market. That market has been around a bit longer than cards, and is an interesting study to compare too. Because stamps are printed on paper and not carboard, many have deteriated worse over the years than cards.
Trimmed, reperfed, rebacked, regummed stamps are perfectly accepted in the collecting market place. However, it does require the collector to be carefull. Many dishonest dealers will sell a raw reperfed stamp as a non-reperfed stamp to an uneducated collector for a significant premium.

As long as PSA labels this card as altered or restored (I do not see a significant difference), I am ok with it. As these cards get older, and Third Party graders start to run out of cards to grade, we will see more of this. It will probably follow the same pattern as their sister division PSE for stamps. More raw cards will be allowed into slabs, but will be labelled more specifically. The qualifier labels will be expanded. Slabs with altered, rebacked, trimmed, etc. will apear.

In the long run I think keeping these cards available (as long as the are properly labelled) is very good for the hobby. As the supply of quality material falls behind demand, the prices of these cards will start to creep out of reach for many collectors. Many collectors will not even try to go after the monster. However, if restored cards are allowed, along with an expanded qualifier base to even the common cards; many people will remain interested in collecting. They can start to build the set or fill holes at an affordable price, and upgrading later when they are able.

In reference to the Plank card, and comparing it to the stamp market. Most restored stamps only sell for about 5% to 10% of their un-altered counterpart. Super rarities, and this Plank qualifies could go as high as 35%. Assuming this card would compare to a PSA-6 or PSA-7, it does not suprise me in the least that many collectors will bid this one up.

Anyway, just a thought.