View Single Post
Old 07-26-2023, 04:44 PM
Tho.mas L Sau.nders

the Black Sox signed baseballs are specifically what I am talking about (lots 1921,1922, 1923, 1924). They are from Lot 546 of the Halper auction years ago.

I believe Cicotte is the only one that could be not forged of the 8 in that lot (even though that is pretty large signature for Cicotte and it looks a lot like the same hand created it and the McMullin ball)....maybe Mrs Joe Jackson (remember for a good while during the earlier decades of autograph collecting people thought that was HIS signature thus would think they were forging his not his wifes...by the time of Halper's auction it was common knowledge it was a wife sig thus reflected as such in the catalogue)

Of the 8 Gandil Risberg and Felsch are obvious forgeries IMO, McMullin also very unlikely based on no one knowing what became of him (conflicting media reports) until after his death, as was Lefty Williams (which there are a few forgeries out there that look similar to this ball)... Weaver did sign for people around Chicago but that ball has issues as well...All are very large signatures too which is very suspicious...

The REA description does not mention they are ex Halper items (they might not be aware of the fact)

I could be very wrong...but they dont look correct (surprised JSA authenticated them especially the Felsch)

I wouldn't bid on them and would advise any other Black Sox collector not to either

Last edited by ThomasL; 07-26-2023 at 05:05 PM.