View Single Post
Old 03-01-2016, 03:11 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanH3 View Post
I also can relate to the "I know it when I see it" collector as well.
I 100% relate to this statement. There are any number of pre-set biases I may have-- love sharp corners, registration and color, don't like noticeable creases, avoid pin holes, and don't care much about centering... but all these preferences are subject to reexamination, or easing if I see something I simply like and want. I don't really consider this a "quirk" of mine, just preferences, and a sometimes willingness to veer from these preferences.

My truest "quirk", which I know may be sacrilegious to some, is that I keep a certain number of purchased cards unopened, often waiting for a special day-- a work success, a life occasion, etc-- to open and fully enjoy. I feel it extends my joy period.. there's the initial joy of the hunt when I search for and buy, then a nice little plateau of joy in knowing I've got a treat stashed away, and the final joy of opening and appreciating the card. If it is a high dollar card, I'll often peak just to make sure the correct card shipped (have once or twice caught shipping mistakes by doing this).

I know I'm a little crazy in doing this, but it's always worked for me. I also used to hoard a certain number of Christmas presents as a kid, opening some months later, so I guess this is just a continuation of that.