Thread: Vintage Racing?
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2016, 11:18 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Another racing book I have read in recent years that is simply phenomenal is Dr. Steve Olvey's book "Rapid Response: My Life as a Motor Racing Life Saver." The book is kinda pricey right now on Amazon, but it does show up from time to time for under $20. IIRC, I paid $12-13 for my copy a couple years ago.

https://www.amazon.com/Rapid-Respons...ds=steve+olvey

The book begins with Olvey talking about saving Alex Zanardi's life after Zanardi's double amputation in 2001, and Zanardi wrote the foreword for the book. Olvey was the chief medical director for CART from 1978-2001, and he could not believe what he saw when he reached Zanardi's car. Double amputations above the knee are almost always fatal in the field because a patient will bleed out in less than 90 seconds. Olvey was almost certain Zanardi would die on the helicopter flight to the nearest trauma center. Olvey talked about every time the CART series visited a new venue, he would immediately search out the nearest hospital and the nearest major trauma center in case something disastrous occurred.

Nearly all of the major crashes in CART during 1980s and 1990s are discussed in a tasteful manner. Olvey talks about how drivers were viewed as expandable and fools who deserved whatever they got when he first began attending races in the 1960s. Who knew that Swede Savage actually died from a bad blood transfusion following his '73 Indy crash? But the book also contains lots of stories with happier endings. For example, I knew Rick Mears' feet-crushing crash at Sanair (Que.) in 1984 was bad, but I never knew that French-Canadian doctors initially wanted to amputate both of Mears' feet. Mears subsequently came back to win Indy twice more after doctors initially wanted to amputate his feet.

Olvey mentioned being in the grandstands at Indy in 1964 and being momentarily relieved to learn that Eddie Sachs was merely "fatally injured." Olvey's father then broke the news to him of what the term "fatally injured" meant.

Olvey also characterized NASCAR as such as donkey series safety wise in the 1970s and '80s that A.J. Foyt often paid Olvey out of his own pocket to accompany him to NASCAR races Foyt competed in. Due to cronyism and just outright cheapness by promoters, the doctors staffing NASCAR races in the 1970s and '80s would sometimes be mere optometrists, general practitioners or other doctors woefully unqualified to handle a traumatic injury/amputation.

Last edited by Bored5000; 10-16-2016 at 01:46 AM.