View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013, 11:26 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by prewarsports View Post
This is exactly what I was refering to in the Gehrig thread last week. People show a picture and ask for opinions and then are shocked when people dont line up to answer. WE ALL KNOW what is going to follow, a "certified" example and then people start arguing. If you ever say anything in these threads "look fine", you are setting yourself up to be blasted as either agreeing with the authentication companies and looking like a fool, or being incompetant so what is the point.

Threads like this serve no purpose, its not going to sway anyones opinion either way and just feeds that drama that is killing this autograph forum in my opinion.

The "what do you think of this" threads used to be real questions about uncertified autographs and actually be fun to try and help people out. Now they are just tools for the self serving with an agenda.

Just an opinion from someone who sees less of a reason to go on this forum each and every day.

Rhys
Rhys, no offense, but you need to get one of those 'half full' glasses. This is a discussion forum for autographs, and that's what we are doing. Sure, there are agendas, but that's always been true.

This thread, in my opinion, is a great one - it shows what is probably an atypical Ruth autograph that most of us wouldn't touch. Because of this thread we are finding out why it might be real, and why the TPA's think that it is.

We've seen a great post by someone pointing out that even if it IS real, he wouldn't want to own it. This is an aspect of collecting that many board member have completely missed - we concentrate on authenticity (which most of the time can NOT be proven), and skip 'desirability'.

I don't mind being told I can't curse, but being told I can't express a negative opinion about something that does rankle me a bit.

And in terms of where the autograph forum has gone, it used to be that you couldn't even have two dissenting opinions in the same 'room'. I think that with a few exceptions, it's come a long way. And even those 'exceptions' seem to be under control.

Just my opinion - hope to see you at the National