View Single Post
Old 10-23-2007, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Default New Hobby Find: 1863 Jordan & Co. CdV of Crossley

Posted By: ramram

Always great to hear the history of some of these historically important baseball items. Barry is always like an open book!

1863 - 1865 was, to me, the single most important period for the spread of base ball. Just as this card shows, cricket and many similar ball games were transitioning with the relatively new game of base ball. The civil war (1861 - 1865) was the biggest virus that spread the base ball addiction. In particular, in early 1864 there was an unusually warm period during February and March. Civil War soldiers always went into winter quarters from around November to March due to the difficulties of waging war during the winter. Boredom ensued. When this early warm weather hit, many of the New York (the real originating city of base ball) soldiers broke out their base balls and bats and showed their fellow soldiers the game of base ball. Soon there were games between companies and regiments. These soldiers took the knowledge of the game home with them after the war ended and it spread like wildfire. I have had many civil war diaries and letters that mention these games that were played in early 1864. Likewise, I have letters noting the transition of the cricketeers to base ball as well (see below).

Sorry if I digress.

Rob M.

From the letter below: “Perhaps you may be interested in knowing that “The Plymouth Rock Cricket Club” has been turned into “the Plymouth Rock Base Ball Club” where at “Ben” is quite dissatisfied. Most of us think that rather a better game then cricket and we play the New York game.”