View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 02:20 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
A few similarities and a some differences. That probably just mucks it up even more. I like the similarities though..starting the M high and probably not too many people slanted their y at the end of their name like that.
I wanted to hear your opinion before I gave mine

I was VERY excited when the 1909 Tigers autograph page was posted, for the exact characteristics you mentioned ('M' and 'y').

Having said that, if there were 'lots' of McIntyre autographs around the hobby, and the single photo and inscription I have, was offered for sale as a genuine 'autograph', I wouldn't touch it. But I think this is a good test of 'provenance' (for lack of a more appropriate term). Given that my 'Matty' was not even pictured in the original auction description, it obviously wasn't being passed off as a fake autograph. So, is the 1909 Tigers sheet a forgery? If not, then that leaves us comparing the two bits of writing, deciding if they are reasonably close enough to think they were 'probably' or 'possibly' written by the same person, and if so, what is the likelihood that someone else had the same knowledge as Matty regarding the players in the album, and also wrote his first name with these same characteristics.

I don't know for certain, but I do believe it was Matty who penned the inscriptions.

On the other hand, if someone who I respected (with regard to autograph authentication) PM'd me saying that I was wrong, I would believe them and simply scratch my head.