Thread: Valuation
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2018, 05:38 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
As a VCP record-holder myself on a couple cards, I agree with the sentiment here. One of my hobby mentors once told me that you can't "overpay" for quality cards; you can just pay its future price early.

Of course, I don't believe that applies to all cards, or perhaps even most, but I firmly believe centered HoFers from the most collected pre-war sets should do well. And if they don't, I don't care - they deliver a ton of intrinsic value for me. My retirement is not dependent on my collection.

Edited to add: Steve, your neighbor sounds like a dick. Who wouldn't want someone to pay high in their own neighborhood?
I agree on both points. Many cards are very tough to find with excellent eye appeal for the grade. When one is available it's often worth it to break a record. Any time I've done this I haven't had a problem getting out of the card later.

And I would welcome any neighbor who overpays for a house in my neighborhood. I'm not in real estate, but I'm pretty sure prices are usually based on what comparable homes have sold for. Maybe the guy didn't want his property taxes going up.