View Single Post
Old 01-28-2010, 08:32 PM
Chris Counts

Default Every card has a story

I have this theory that every card has a great story to tell, even if the player pictured is completely obscure. I received this card today from a board member (Thanks, Sean!) and I immediately googled his name, Harry McArdle, and this is what turned up. It's apparently from a 1914 Sunset magazine ...

"The Pacific Coast League is full of former major leaguers whose chief ambition is to end their playing days here. The major leagues are full of former Coast Leaguers whose chief ambition is to get back here again. A few years ago Harry McArdle, now of the Venice club, but then with San Francisco, attracted the attention of the big league "scouts" by his phenomenal fielding and an unusual batting spurt. These scouts, derisively called "ivory hunters" in the argot of fandom, make a business of finding suitable big league material in the ranks of the minor leaguers. A report that he was under consideration by the scouts reached the ears of McArdle, and in consternation he sought a friend for advice and sympathy. "I don't like to get in bad here," he mourned, "but I guess I've got to boot a few of the easy ones till these scouts quit. None of this big league business for me. I like this league, and I like this town, and I like my job. And if I'm satisfied they ought to let me alone."

So basically, Harry was willing to boot a few grounders if that's what it took to keep him out the major leagues. His story kind of shoots down the theory, in great contrast to "Field of Dreams," that every player's ultimate goal was to make it to the majors. I've also read many times that the Pacific Coast League players were paid better than their big league counterparts, and certainly the weather was nicer as well ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10mcardle.jpg (69.8 KB, 260 views)