View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Default Autographs.....JSA video

Posted By: Scott S

WOW is all I can say as well. Larry - the authenticator who OK'd the Bando autograph in the clip - is from Boston and is relatively new to JSA (probably been there about a year). I've known him since our days of stalking Fenway Park during the '80s and '90s, collecting autographs outside the park. He's a great guy and really knows his stuff, and I totally trust him on autographs, and would usually feel the same about others from JSA.

This case is a tough one, because when authenticating at a show like this, they've probably got their guard down, since they're in the same room as Bando and not expecting anyone to submit a fake, so I'm sure they'll approve anything at that point. I'm not saying that's OK, but it would be a different story if someone brought up a vintage sig to be authenticated.

I would've like to have seen if the story showed them submitting a forged DiMaggio or Mantle autograph at the same time, since I bet those would've been critiqued much more so than the Bando.

My money says this will serve as a wake-up call to JSA and others regarding analysis of in-show signatures, but I will continue to trust their judgement on vintage sigs....