View Single Post
Old 05-10-2014, 01:50 AM

Default Did pretty good at Old West Antiques Show Today...

I went to the once a year Old West Antiques Show in Grass Valley Ca today...made the 2 1/2 hr drive got up with the chickens to make it by the 10:00AM open...couldn't believe the line waiting to open...about a block long...Show has a reputation as one of the best quality shows left...Everything western...Cowboy, Native American, Gambling, Mining, Rail Road..etc...

Naturally I go looking for anything sports...boxing or what ever...I did decent...Somebody here on net54 asked me once to the effect if there was any sport I didn't have represented in my collection...Well I added one today...Surfing...picked up a group of original vintage photos of Surfing Hall of Famer Duke Kahanamoku...and he's also in the Swimming Hall of Fame...I think they are all snap shots except the one post card marked 2 cent postage...

photo DukeGroup_zpsfda86680.jpg

photo DukeKahanamokuSnapshot_zps1a1ae8ea.jpg

photo PICT9296_zps150ab24e.jpg

photo PICT9293_zps7fd6ed2d.jpg

photo PICT9294_zpsf879b55d.jpg

photo PICT9299_zps3671bf52.jpg

photo PICT9298_zps25d75a09.jpg

photo DukeGroupBacks_zps6c81a8d5.jpg

photo PICT9304_zps03166609.jpg

The one of Duke by himself is the center piece of the group but there's one of him surfing on one leg...and he's in another running with I believe the USC swim team...After reading up on him tonight I'm sure glad I pulled the trigger...He's a lot more remarkable than I knew...Had a very colorful life....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_Kahanamoku
"Kahanamoku easily qualified for the U.S. Olympic swimming team in 1912, breaking the record for the 200 meter freestyle in his trial heat for the 4×200 relay. He went on to win a gold medal in the 100 meter freestyle in the 1912 Olympics in Stockholm, and a silver with the relay team. During the 1920 Olympics in Antwerp, he won gold medals both in the 100 meters (bettering fellow Hawaiian Pua Kealoha) and in the relay. He finished the 100 meters with a silver medal during the 1924 Olympics in Paris, with the gold going to Johnny Weissmuller and the bronze to Duke's brother, Samuel Kahanamoku. He also played for the U.S. water polo team at the 1932 Summer Olympics.

Between Olympic competitions, and after retiring from the Olympics, Kahanamoku traveled internationally to give swimming exhibitions. It was during this period that he popularized the sport of surfing, previously known only in Hawaii, by incorporating surfing exhibitions into these visits as well. His surfing exhibition at Sydney's Freshwater Beach on December 23, 1914 is widely regarded as a seminal event in the development of surfing in Australia.[7] The board that Kahanamoku built from a piece of pine from a local hardware store is retained by the Freshwater Surf Club. There is a statue of Kahanamoku on the headland at Freshwater. He made surfing popular in mainland America first in 1912 while in Southern California." Per Wikipedia

Did acting in Hollywood...involved with the Los Angeles Athletic Club...once rescued eight men from a capsized fishing boat in Newport Beach Ca in 1925...He served as sheriff of Honolulu, Hawaii from 1932 to 1961, serving 13 consecutive terms.

photo RowingGalPillow20X20Inch_zps50023cf3.jpg

I also picked up a rowing pillow cover...I have I think two football pillow covers..a tennis one, a polo player one...and I always wondered if there was a rowing one out there...I actually prefer them framed so may frame it...

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 05-10-2014 at 01:54 AM.