View Single Post
Old 07-09-2015, 02:20 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default The T206 "Elite Eleven"......

An ongoing internet survey that has sampled 100,000+ T206 cards has revealed that the unique group of eight T206's that I refer to as the "Elite Eight"......
Link to 2008 "Elite 8" thread: http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...hlight=elite+8
......has 3 additional "cousins"....therefore, we now have the "Elite Eleven" Thanks goes to Scot Reader for discovering these 3 additional cards.

For you new guys on Net54 that are interested in such nitty-gritty things regarding T206's, I will reprise the history of the "Elite Eleven" here............

In 2006, a number of us T206 "nut-54er's" conducted numerous surveys on this forum. Starting with Barry Arnold's famous EPDG thread regarding certain
"150/350 series" cards. These surveys resulted in sorting out 14 subjects from the then so-called 150/350 series.

1st......we established that Red Ames (hands at chest) and Larry Doyle (throwing) are 150-only subjects. Previously, thought to be 150/350 subjects.

2nd......initially we narrowed this group of 14 subjects to 7 of the 8 that are pictured in this 1st group of scans......Dahlen, Ewing, Ganley, Tom Jones, Karger,
Lindaman, and Mullin (horiz.)....and, we included Lundgren (Cubs).

3rd......Frank Schulte (front view) was originally considered in the surveys as part of this "Elite" group, not enough info was available then to include this card.
However, one unique sample of this Schulte exists with a PIEDMONT 350 back. But, no associated EPDG has yet to be found.

4th.....although, Schaefer and Spencer were originally considered in the surveys as belonging to this "Elite" group, these 2 subjects were not included in 2006.
Shaw was not considered.

What makes these 11 subjects quite unique is this.....the majority of the population of these 11 are found with 150 series backs (PIEDMONT, SOVEREIGN, and
SWEET CAPORAL, and Brown HINDU). And, very rarely found with 350 series backs PIEDMONT 350 and EPDG.

"Elite Eleven" subjects

Although Lundgren (Cubs) was not printed with HINDU, SOVEREIGN, nor SWEET CAPORAL....this card is very similar to the ELITE 11
with respect to the initial 350 press runs of PIEDMONT 350 and EPDG backs. Therefore, I have included Lundgren with this group.

NOTE
Approx. 7 years ago I acquired a fairly decent lot of T206's from a dealer in Atlanta. All these cards were from an original collection from that area of Georgia.
This collection was strictly PIEDMONT's; and, I was pleasantly surprised to find 6 of the Elite 8 cards in this group.

Very recently, another original collection of T206's (all PIEDMONT's) was discovered in the Atlanta area. And, this collection included several of the cards we
now refer to as the "Elite Eleven".

My theory 7 years ago was these very rare T206's were only distributed in Georgia. This recent find appears to substantiate my theory regarding these cards.

TED Z

Last edited by tedzan; 08-21-2017 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Correct typo.