View Single Post
Old 04-05-2015, 07:52 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvster View Post
with this "rarity" is it is intentionally made rare.....the vintage "become" rare

maybe 70 x rarer than wagz, but it was intentionally done so....
While I don't collect modern cards, it would be good to have a balanced discussion about this.

1. There are plenty of examples of "manufactured rarities" (e.g. Lajoie) in vintage cards that sell for lots of money. I don't think we yet know what some 1/1 cards for modern HOFers will sell for in 50-75 years. I agree that purchasing them today is a HUGE risk and not one I'm willing to take but that doesn't mean some of these cards won't be as valuable or even more so than vintage HOFers are based upon the player and what they accomplish in their career. Just because something is a manufactured rarity doesn't necessarily mean it won't someday be really, really valuable.

2. I've never been a huge fan of the registry game but it's certainly the case that card registries are driving up the price of high grade / low Pop cards. Who's to say what someone will pay for modern rookie cards of HOFers someday when collectors are fighting with each other for #1 on the registry? We are seeing prices rise dramatically for high grade 50s - 80s HOF rookies and supply / demand says this may continue. Of course if the number of collectors falls dramatically in the coming decades (as some have predicted), this might not occur but if not, who knows?

3. Collectors are often attracted to the cards / players from their youth. There's no reason to believe that collectors who grow up in the 2000s won't be interested in collecting these sets unless (as discussed above), card collecting dies. I expect many of those that are into collecting in future decades will have an interest in these cards.

Again, I'm not into the 1/1 phenomenon but let's not dismiss it all so quickly as worthless. Not good investments today but that doesn't mean some of these won't be good investments in the future or that manufactured rarities won't be valuable.

jeff

Last edited by jefferyepayne; 04-05-2015 at 07:54 AM.