View Single Post
Old 12-09-2011, 12:54 PM
Doug Goodman

I bid with the assumption that the auction house DOES see my ceiling bid, and that they will be honest with how they use that info. If I feel that there is a chance that they will NOT be honest with that info, then I do not give them a ceiling bid.

Ultimately, I know what I am willing to pay for an item. If the bidding goes above that, I stop. Prior to that number, if I think that I am being shilled, it's a case by case basis, I may stop, I may not.

That's just me.

For me, if an auction company were to come right out and say "the bidding on this item stopped at $X and we shilled it to $Y" I might treat that like a reserve. If it's still under the $Z that I am willing to pay, well why not?

That's just me.

I assume people are honest, it works for me, even though it's often a stupid thing for me to do. When I get f'd (oops, sorry, thanx for the edit Leon), I take it as part of the cost of doing business, find whatever glimmer of a silver lining that I can to cling to. Denial isn't always a bad thing (insert smiley face here).

It's a HOBBY

It is (supposed to be) FUN

For those of you who it is a business for, my way doesn't work, I get it.

On my way to place the only kind of ebay bid I know - a snipe.
Wish me luck,
Doug

Last edited by doug.goodman; 12-09-2011 at 01:30 PM. Reason: took out f bomb