View Single Post
Old 04-13-2017, 12:24 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedw9 View Post
I can't speak to all plates, but here is what I've read in the past about the '62 variations which may speak to the number I have.

1962 series 2 Topps was still selling well when series 3 was ready to be printed. They had the plates shipped to another printer (green tints?) so they could continue printing series 2 as well as start 3. On the way an unknown incident happened, a few plates were ruined and some people/poses were changed. Again, not sure why. This is the story I read some time back, I may have a screen shot saved or something. Maybe they made up extra plates for a few because the previous accident? I don't know, I'm just throwing out therioies.
I'd be really surprised if they shipped actual plates. They were printing cards on double sheets by then, two 132 card sheets side by side. So the plates were both thin aluminum and really large. Sure, they could be shipped, but it would be expensive and a nuisance.
And once they're mounted in the press they get used and worn, and the tensioning stretches them slightly. I've never heard of reusing them in a commercial press. We saved them for recycling, unless I used one for a dustpan(We never bought a dustpan, since we usually had a stack of plates.)

More likely candidates for shipping would be either the original art, which could have been comparatively small panels with the borders and pictures basically pasted to a bit of thicker cardboard.
Or the "masks" one for each color, and basically a huge negative. 62s may have been large negatives, but they're usually a special opaque paper with the negatives taped onto it and holes cut where they want the negative to show.
The woodgrain border would be why the 62s could have been a group of really large negatives.

The masks would have shipped pretty easily rolled up in a tube.

Steve B