View Single Post
Old 10-14-2003, 01:03 AM
Administrator

Default New T206 Collector Seeking Advice!

Posted By: Maxx

Ray,

First I would like to say welcome to the point of no return. The T206 set has a way of taking people hostage and not letting go. I have been collecting them for 17yrs now. Even though I can remember every card in the set from memory I never get tired of looking for them or looking at them. All of the posts here will be correct in giving you advice, or how is the best way to obtain a set. After 17yrs I finished my T206 set two years ago this November.

I can give you some advice and examples of how I went about obtaining the set. I hope this helps.

Ray Writes:

1. How important is it to own a card with a "rare" back if attempting to construct a set?

In my opinion and I’m sure some would disagree. Not very important at all. I never made it an issue when I first started. It was only when I got closer to finishing the set, that if I saw a back I didn’t own at the right price I try to get it.

Analogy: If your life goal is to own a certain model Ferrari no one would fault you if you didn’t own all six colors there were produced in.

It’s only important if you make part of your pursuit. If you want to own a type card of all T206’s as they were issued from 1909-1911 including all the tobacco manufactures they were issued with, then go for it. Otherwise all the cards with Piedmont backs are still a set.
(Don’t beat me up on the Demmit & O’Hara cards you serious collectors.)

2. Is ebay the best way to obtain cards? I live in NJ/NY area.

Yes and no I feel in many ways there are a lot less cards than most collectors think. I also think that these cards are more popular than ever and become harder each year to find. Demand is at an all time high and supply of even decent collector grade cards is at a low. Also because there are so many new collectors who really don’t understand the hobby and what they are collecting, due to lack of education. Ebay prices on cards sometimes go for twice what they are worth. Sometimes these cards go for investment prices for cards that are below investment quality. However with that said Ebay can be a wonderful place to watch for that hard to come by common or mis-listed lot that goes for a good and fair price.

Get a good working relationship with reputable dealers they exist. Think of them like brokers ask to see a portfolio of some type, feedback from other collectors and ask around. Find one you like and explain your situation believe it or not these guys sell a lot more collector grade cards than they do mint museum pieces. Tell them what your trying to do they make a living to trying to help guys like you and me. When it comes to buying cards for your set I followed these rules when I started buy commons and more commons. Star cards will always be available that Cobb bat off will be there when you need it, however that damn Weimer port. May not. This is not as fun but seems to work much better. Don’t nickel and dime it. What I mean is the one card at a time stuff is fun but will break you. Save your pennies until you have a sizable chunk of change your willing to part with. Then go and hunt lots at card shows and from your dealer friends you have made, or wait for that low-grade auction house lot. You get more when buying bulk than one at time. If the lot has dupes sell or trade the extras and recoup some of your investment.

3. How many T206 cards are actually out there? How many people have tried to make a set and have failed due to supply and demand?

This is a real tough question I wouldn’t even begin to guess. There are a lot of factors here how many cards are floating in the open market for sale vs. how many cards are stuck in private collections. Not to mention if we keep counting the same cards over and over again. I do know that I follow the auction houses and webs and see a number of the same t206’s surfacing 2-3 in the same year. I do feel however obtaining a set in collector grade is possible it will take lots of time and patience though. Oh and a little luck as well.

4. What is considered to be a full set? Every source gives a different number!!!

I also follow the SCD. I however consider my set somewhat finished even though I do not own the Plank, Magie, Wagner and Doyle. I really won’t consider it fully done until Plank, Magie, Wagner are added. I’m still up in the air on the Doyle card personally if it was really issued like the others, same goes true for Cobb/Cobb back.

That’s my take on your questions I hope it helped. I would just like to wish you luck in your future endeavor and all the best of luck.

Maxx