View Single Post
Old 05-05-2013, 10:40 AM

Default Assembling a Vintage Set

So, my main collecting interest over the last few years was set collecting for vintage football cards. I managed to complete a couple sets in that time and I really enjoyed it. Although my main focus for baseball is mainly specific players and cards...I can't help but think about putting together a baseball set. I think it would be challenging and a lot of fun.

I know that baseball sets tend to be much larger than football and more expensive. So, it will take some time to do one. I also need help deciding what set to pick because there are SO many factors and I tend to over analyze things. So, I'd be interested in your opinions about what is a good set to choose...basically if you could only do one set what would you pick.

Here are some things that I'm looking for:

1. Standard-sized cards. I want to put the bulk of the set in 9 pouch pages in an album so standard size is critical...so I believe that is 1957 Topps or later.
2. Milwaukee Braves. I grew up as a huge Braves fan and there is something special about the years the team was in Milwaukee. So, I want a set where the Braves were in Milwaukee. So, that would be 1965 or earlier.

Those are the two big things. I would also like to pick a set with nice esthetic design. Of course...I nice complement of stars is always good (but I think every set from 57-65 should have that).

Also, something interesting is also nice. For example, I really like how the 1957 Topps set has the Giants and Dodgers still in NY. I also like how the 1957 set has season stats for every year the player played to date (as do several other sets). On the other hand, I think the set is somewhat unaesthetic.

Anyway, I would love to hear your opinions. I don't want to hear :"collect what you like" because I like them all. What I want is pros and cons to try and decide which set has the most going for it.

I don't have a super tight budget but I'm not wealthy either...but I think all these sets fall into a reasonable price range for me given enough time.

Last edited by CamaroDMD; 05-05-2013 at 10:41 AM.