View Single Post
Old 08-08-2007, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Default 1933 Butter Cream Ruth

Posted By: Rob Dewolf

Back in June I posted the story below in a different thread. Since it's relevant to this thread, I figured it was worth relating again. The source of the story was the person who held the auction. Very reliable, to say the least:

I had the following story told to me tonight about a Butter Cream Ruth:

Shortly after it was discovered that there indeed was a Ruth card in the Butter Cream set (we're going back quite a few years here), one was offered in an auction. Barry Halper was interested in the card but told the person running the auction that he wasn't thrilled with the minimum bid. The Ruth card ended up not drawing a bid (!), and the next day Halper, who was high bidder on one other item in the auction, said he would purchase the Ruth for the minimum bid.

The other item that Halper won was rather bulky, so the Ruth was packed in a smaller box, which was placed in the larger box that contained the bulky item. I'll skip a few details that aren't that relevant to the story, but the end result was that Halper didn't realize the Butter Cream Ruth had been shipped with the other item, and that Ruth got thrown out with the larger box and packing materials.

So, an incredibly scarce card got even scarcer that day.