View Single Post
Old 04-07-2022, 12:15 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Yep, pretty funny. Perhaps almost as funny as the raw-only sellers...

"My Hank Aaron RC is NM-MT! I'll take $85k for it please."

"But it's not graded. Is there something wrong with it? Why isn't it graded?"

"Grading is a SCAM! That'll be $85k please."

"I love the card, but I just can't offer you graded prices for a raw card, I'm sorry. Best I can do is $4,225."
I think the point is that the card hasn't changed whether it is entombed or not. With the exception of $0.17 of plastic, the cards value is the same. Like it or not, the premium assigned is due to laziness, lack of knowledge, and /or the need for affirmation.

Comparable to an appraisal for my grandfather's ring. I will never sell it, but an heir might. The insurance company required pictures, measurements, and a description. The accompanying piece of paper changes nothing in regards to it's value. But the size of the stone, weight of the gold, age, etc. has now been defined for my ignorant ass and for my lazy kids.

Or maybe a bucket of dirt with a pound of gold in it. Separate and melt into a bar and, voila! You have a more marketable item that will sell for more than it's intrinsic value.

Disclosure: I once refused a free PSA service at a card show. I have never submitted to a grader (as yet). I have had less than a dozen in my possession for a very short period of time. I have probably held less than two dozen.