View Single Post
Old 03-25-2008, 02:11 PM
Administrator

Default PSA vs. SCG -- Discount Valuation

Posted By: LetsGoBucs

I don't know. I should state that I really don't buy graded cards so its not like I really care.

I've believed for a long time that with the advent of grading that we'd get to a point where rarity and desirability of a particular card would become the drivers of price. Yes, condition will always impact the price, but its becoming well known that many high grade cards have (and can) been altered. Whether thats by removing creases, taking out stains, sharpening edges and corners, etc. That to me should lessen the extra demand between a 6 and a 7 or a 7 and an 8 if they both look nice.

But then the set registry came along....it was a brilliant marketing move. Really brilliant. It hits just the right spot in the market. Guys who likely used to play the sport (and competed) plus guys with large disposable incomes (likely competing rather well in corporate world or in business for themselves) - put the two together - large disposable incomes plus competitive urges and suddenly you've unleashed a bragging rights type of game. And who hasn't been there - even think of the traditional Thanksgiving day extended family football (or any other) game where you'll kill yourself to beat your brother in law for the ninth straight year - even though you know that for the next 10 days you'll barely be able to get out of bed - same thing with the cards - might have blown 20 grand for some stupid commons BUT your the BEST IN THE WORLD!!!!

I still think we'll end up with grades for pre-war cards being mostly secondary. I don't think we'll get there for post-war cards. So I don't think there will be a premium of one over the other....I think the importance of the grade itself will diminish and the importance of rarity in combination with demand will increase. I think we see some evidence of that with things like the Babe Ruth Baltimore rookie card, boston garters, and it will just take time to filter through all the hobby.