View Single Post
Old 01-24-2011, 05:29 PM
Mike M.

Default OT - SCD Ripoff!

Hello Net54!

First post for me on the forum, so apologies if I stumble on the way out of the gate. I wish my first foray could be on a positive topic, but I felt compelled to make folks aware of a new low for this once relevant collectors magazine. I understand that SCD has become a fairly useless collecting tool, but I did enjoy some of the editorial content over the years, and the occasional auction catalog sometimes included with the magazine.

In a recent editorial they announced several changes for the new year, including the cancellation of Tuff Stuff magazine, the reduction in publication frequency of SCD, and the departure of long-time editor T.S. Oconnell. The ripoff I alluded to is that rather than extend subscriber subscriptions by an equivalent number of issues because of the reduction in publishing frequency, they are simply saying that they will honor existing subscriptions through the end of the original expiration date. In other words, my current subscription will end at the same time my old 52 issue subscription would have, but with significantly less total issues. What I find infuriating about this is that all of their subscription literature emphasizes the number of issues you are supposedly receiving for your money. Wow!

I have sent numerous emails in protest to new editor Tom Bartsch. He is sympathetic, but has assured me that the decision is above his pay grade.

Again, I know that SCD is considered mostly a joke to members of this forum, but I thought some readers might be interested in the recent shenanigans by these supposedly professional publishers. Needless to say, my subscription will not be renewed.

Looking forward to posting some fun topics going forward.