Thread: REA results
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2018, 07:49 PM

Default Commons

Most of the Goudey commons sold for fairly modest prices. The problem with the commons is that no matter how tough they are there are only a handful of people trying for the set. It’s a small enough number of collectors that one person (ie - me) shifting from a buyer to a seller significantly impacted the market. Not many people will pay a Mel Ott price for a Bill Cissell no matter how tough Cissell is. Some cards are just too rare for their own good and I think signed Goudeys fall into that category. Obviously the Hall of Fame players have a much broader market. The commons will probably continue to be suppressed until fresh faces start trying for the set, but with so few signed examples to go around it’s a daunting task that not many will want to take on. I anticipated I’d take a loss on some of the commons, but I did well enough on the stars that it wasn’t a big blow. Trying for the set was fun, but it I had been in this solely for profit I would have just collected the HOF players.

Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisguy View Post
Jason,

Do you mind commenting on the Goudey commons? What are your thoughts on
prices with them? According to the PSA/DNA population report many signed commons only have a pop. of 1-2 cards. Some of those commons are extremely tough. A lot of those players died many years ago, which makes them almost if not impossible.