View Single Post
Old 11-14-2014, 11:48 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

My story is I earlier had helped out Al with with authenticating some photos in some past auctions and decided to consign two group lots of autographs to a previous auction. We didn't say anything about consignment fee, but I assumed I would be charged the usual rate. When I got my check, nothing was taken out of it. At the National I told him in person that I had ben half surprised a consignment fee hadn't taken out, in part because the lots were fairly small. He was taken aback and said "I'd never do that unless we'd specifically agreed on a percentage beforehand." He's also said I'd helped him out before. The funny thing is I would have been fine without being charged a fee and felt a little guilty not being charged one, as it is a service.

The story was about the type of guy Al was, and I only added the part about earlier helping out with photos so people don't start clammering for "their free fees." I think people should be willing to pay for a service and know auction houses margins are much slimmer that chatboard posters who don't know claim.

And, to not leave anyone out, I met Leon, Scott B. and Lee B. (Sterling Auctions) at the National and they're were all good guys. And Lee definitely sounds like a Minnesotan. I remarked to Scott that I'd followed his auctions since way back and he seems to know everything about everything-- an expert ephemera generalist.

And I'm sure I've left someone out.

Oh my God, I left out Jesus. My mom is going to kill me.

"I like David. He's comes across as a very religious man."
"You realize he's joking, don't you?"
"He is?"
"I think so, I'm not sure. It's always hard to tell with David."
"Let's ask him."
"Don't bother, he'd be the last to give you an answer."
"Well, whatever he is, he's clearly not an evangelist. I think."

For the record, I am an evangelist. I just choose not to talk about it.

Last edited by drcy; 11-14-2014 at 01:50 PM.