View Single Post
Old 02-10-2004, 03:04 PM
Administrator

Default VCBC--the whole thing!

Posted By: Julie

The cover is great--as I'm sure most of you already know, since it's been on the VCBC website for weeks, if not months! 76 pages long, only. In spite of the two articles on T207s ("What were they thinking?" (great title!) by Bob Marquette and "No population explosion-Studying T207s" by Tim Newcomb), my vote for the best article in the issue goes to "baseball's geniuses; In the beginning..."" by Dennis Purdy, Charles Peverelly and Preston Orem (not all of whom are alive yet). Wonderful illustrations, including a drawing of a baseball "ground" signed by Henry Chadwick, and a glossary of baseball terminology from the 19th century, an original oil painting (in black and white) of A. Cartrwright, a list of early rules, a lemon peel ball, cards and carte de visites, ETC! A LONG article!
Mike Walleston is now "Chief of Production," writes the "Leading Off," and promises 6 issues in 2004.
Bob M's article on T207s is comprehensive, well writtn and beautifully illustrated with over lifesize examples of cards (there is, however, something a little off with the black and white photography--David R?). Tim's article is more statistical; having coolected and looked at a large number of T207s, he breaks them down in ferquency of player appearance (HOF only), and also the backs. Scott Forrest's artcle on Johnny Ryan is also fascinating, and again, the illustration is great (and again, the b and w photography is a little--strange; a bit pale). On the whole, the Forum does itself proud!
A nice vintage article on Babe Ruth by Waite Hoyt.
BotN has a full page ad (there's no shortage of juicy ads, from big and little dealers and wanters and both).

Two very interesting articles by Dennis P--one (illustrated) on the 1910 PC796 Post Cards (Cobb lacks the distain shown in his CJ card--interesting. Querry: is it the same photo?) and another on old newspaper articles (illustrated with an article on Comiskey's purchase of J. Jackson, and an article on a man whose lawyer says he couldn't be hanged for his crime because his neck was unbreakable).

And my offending classified ad has been removed, but not replaced!

Excellent issue!

"THREE HANDS OUT!" (inning over)