View Single Post
Old 06-17-2016, 01:10 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
I am pretty sure that the biggest stars then would be among the biggest stars now. I think the very lowest 25% of the mlb players in the deadball era would not come close to playing now, but more due to modern scouting and development techniques.

But with baseball, you never know. A ball is a ball. A bat is a bat. The complexity of the sport is a great equalizer across the years.

I agree with Todd

The beauty of BASEBALL is it...."is a great equalizer across the years".

Consider this: In 150 years of playing the game, the better players in the game have career BAvg. that are just .300 to .367 (on average achieving 1 Hit for every 3 times At Bat).

With the exception of Babe Ruth and Mickey Mantle (who drove baseballs 500 to 600 feet), 99.99 % of players over the years normally hit a baseball a distance of 300 - 450 feet.

And, the various HR hitters in the game (since the deadball era ended) have hit 20 - 61 HR's per year.

These 3 significant factors have remained CONSTANTS in baseball for nearly 100 years.

P.S. This analysis does not take into account recent ballplayers who started "juicing up" their physical bodies.

TED Z