View Single Post
Old 02-09-2012, 11:50 AM
Mike Dugan

All goes back to my "butt in the dirt theory" most former football and hockey players are nice and appreciate people caring. And don't give me any crap about "well he was a tough catcher."

Still never had a football or hockey player in person be rude.

In the early 1980s a group of NFL players were trying to get the Kangaroo Shoe Company off the ground. The formed a couple of basketball teams and did a tour to show off the shoes.

St. Louis Cardinals wideout Roy Green was one of the guys. They kicked off their tour at his alma mater Henderson State University in tiny Arkadelphia, Arkansas. He brought 25 players in including; Walter Payton, Billy Simms, James Lofton and Joe Ferguson.

I took the players on vans to each area school where they met and signed for everyone at each stop. That afternoon before the game I took them a state hospital for the very severly retarded. Each player did everything they could to make those kids happy.

That night after the game they stayed for over an hour visiting with the sellout crowd.

I can't imagine group of 25 current major leaguer baseball players doing this today or even back then?