View Single Post
Old 04-20-2012, 08:47 AM
Dean C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostdone View Post
What I could see on the card itself besides the shorter length compared to a different card was that the top edge looked like it was cut with something besides the factory cutting machine. In other words it wasn't cut uneven but when I compared the top edge with the other three from the side you could see an obvious difference in the color of cardboard as well as just the way the edge looked.
Yes, that's exactly the evidence I look for as well. Especially when using a loupe, you can see a slight cross-hatch pattern on the edge of an untrimmed card. And if you have any doubts, you can always compare the card in question to another one that you know to be original. There's definitely a different look to a razor- or Xacto-cut card edge. I also find that a close inspection of a card's corners will help indicate a trim. If I see slight fraying or rounding on the corners of a card that's dimensionally short, that says, to me, that the card is authentic. I mean, I can't imagine that anyone would go through the trouble of "manufacturing" a mint card by trimming it and then handling it for a while to give it a lower grade. And I'm not talking about obvious corner damage or rounding that's been deliberately accomplished. I'm saying it should be easy to tell when the MICROSCOPIC fraying of a card's corners is real or fake.