View Single Post
Old 01-30-2002, 01:43 PM
Administrator

Default Just spoke with Derek Grady-SGC

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

Just got finished doing a 16 page business case here at the old job.........they could certainly use it as a competitive advantage since NONE of the other grading services offers this service.

I would send more in because I like the holder and the color contrast of the black inserts. With the influx of trimmed cards on the market--especially after the last Lipset auction of the Don McPherson caramels, which found their way back onto ebay, I think authentication services without grading would be very beneficial to the untrained person buying cards.

Obviously for high dollar tickets like the T206 Wagners, PSA has made exceptions to their policy and graded a couple of them--the one 707 had and another. They also graded that T206 Cobb back as some variant also.

The 'authentic' line could be priced in the $5.00 to $7.00 which should allow for quite a bit of profit given the cost of the holders. The internal benefits would be as someone earlier in the thread said and allow for quicker grading since a grade isn't needed to be assigned. Might not get completely away from more than one grader reviewing them as authenticity can often be more difficult to determine than actual grade.

The differentiation from the competitors should be reason enough. If you are the 'one stop shop' people will more often come to your site where they can get a larger group of services offered.

A person could submit cards with the stipulation if the card has been altered in any way that it still be holdered as authentic. It could even be taken a step farther to include what the 'supposed' alteration is such as the rebacking added to my Old Judge Cap Anson that you guys refused to grade (okay, I just tried to sneak it by).

You might need some different term than 'authentic' with the whole SCD grading thing though although by the time that you launch the product, that might be a moot point.

p.s. I agree with Mike W completely that the main business case should be new revenue generation. Main goal of any business........

p.p.s. Derek......please get my (48) 19th century cards that you received today graded as soon as possible!