View Single Post
Old 07-23-2017, 08:33 AM
Nick J@yj@ck

Default There are many similarities....

Thanks for posting the various publications from 1967. What I find most fascinating is there are many similarities in the hobby today to what the hobby was like in 1967. For instance, note the comment from one of the readers about the concern for kids being priced out of the hobby by the "card companies" charging a premium for certain cards. Note also the concern by one of the editors regarding false ads, with the inference that people are getting ripped off. On the positive side, I love the passion from many of the readers in 1967 on the hobby in general and how they are willing to help each other out. We see that today, of course. It's also interesting how message boards like this one have in essence replaced these old publications in many ways.

I tend to think collecting certain sets was easier back then in 1967 in terms of affordability, but I'm not as so convinced that is the case. Note in the publication shown in the latest post from Bishop that buying a complete set of 1952 Topps baseball would cost one about $175 ($35 for lower series, $90 for the high series, and by extrapolation, about $50 for the middle series). In today's dollars, that's over $1,200. That's certainly alot of money for a kid, but also for an adult making the median U.S. salary.

Anyway, that's just a few random thoughts. Thanks again for posting the articles.