Thread: October pickups
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2013, 12:07 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
I just picked up an obscure original 1938 All Star game art print featuring Reds' lefty hurler Johnny Vander Meer and the Indians' RHP Bob Feller.
Both OH young guns appeared in the midsummer classic that year, with Vander Meer ending up getting the start as well as the win.

The print's dimensions are 12.5" x 14.5". It was printed on heavy-weight, photo quality paper stock shortly after the '38 All Star game at Crosley Field, and was recently discovered by a picker (think TV's American Pickers). It was part of the estate of the long time resident and former mayor of Defiance, OH. Considering it's age, it's in incredible shape. I would doubt that many of these survived the last 75 years.

Here are a few photos of the piece as well as the typed notice that originally accompanied the print.

If anyone has any more details on where these originated from, I would appreciate the help.
Great acquisition, Scott...

Never seen one of those, and guessing it's insanely rare. The artwork is amazing, as is the image of Feller and Vandy. It's incredible to see all of the unique and different pieces that fit within your "No Hitter" collecting theme.