View Single Post
Old 04-01-2009, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Default Investing or collecting

Posted By: david Poses

I'm 33. Was a baseball nut in the 80s and collected everything I could get my hands on. I remember wanting any T206 but they were always in the extra thick plastic screwdown cases at the card shows with price stickers of like a gazillion dollars on them. (I don't know where all you people with the $5 T206 Ty Cobbs in the 80's saw them). I focused on girls instead of cards in the 90s and dropped out of the hobby.

I am exactly the person Rhett is talking about- I'm 33 years old, and as my disposable income grows, more is spent on cards. I love the hobby. I find baseball in general to be somewhat reprehensible today and barely follow it, but I'm fascinated by the history, I love the artwork on the early cards, etc.

My job is very intense, and when I can take a break to play with my cards (I keep them locked up in my office), I'm brought back to my childhood when things were simpler. Everything about this hobby is fun and relaxing. If my daughter wants to sell them when I die and buy a Prada pocketbook, fine. If she has to buy a Prada knockoff instead of the real thing because these pieces of cardboard are worthless, she'll (theoretically) have money from other investments, and in the meanwhile, I'm having a good time. My cards are worth more than my 401k, but its an accident. An accident, however, which helps me justify even more purchases in the midst of this economic meltdown.

The previous post about looking at the December thread about ages, interests, etc, to me, points to the new generation more than making up for any veterans who bow out. We are chomping at the bit for an opportunity to get our hands on some of your cards if you decide to get out of the hobby.