View Single Post
Old 11-18-2006, 01:39 PM
Administrator

Default Does The Auctioneer Impact The Price?

Posted By: Bob

Easy for you to say, Barry, because you run great auctions, are collector friendly, and above all just a nice guy
One thing I have noticed more and more in auctions is that I have noticed moa lot of hybrid lots, i.e. E94s with T206s with Sporting News with blankets with etc. I know why houses do this, but there have been several lots I have bailed on because the only cards I am collecting in the group are caramels, for instance, and it is a major pain to keep uping the ante when I know I'll have to dump a lot of stuff on ebay (where you NEVER know what a card will bring). I wish the lots were homogenized with groups of caramels, groups of tobacco cards, etc, more.
I also still believe that rather than consign an entire set or near set to an auction house, you are better off (if you have the time and patience) to break it yourself and sell the cards one by one on ebay. You'll make more money, generally. This is based on my own experience of doing it both ways. There is just not the premium for working your tail off to complete a set with an added bump for the enormity of the task, that there used to be...