View Single Post
Old 03-31-2011, 12:47 PM

Default Gehrig jersey

The 1938 Lou Gehrig jersey was purchased by the original consignor several years ago with a MEARS A9 grade.

For the 2011 Spring REA auction, the consignor decided to consign the jersey to REA.

As is our practice, I requested to review the jersey on behalf of REA auctions. The review was completed by MEARS evaluator Dave Grob.

Upon his review, which was the first time he inspected the jersey, his original opinion was to issue the grade MEARS A5.

Although members of the MEARS staff have given grades that differ in the past, historically only by 1/2 or one point, this was the first instance such a wide difference occurred.

I made the final decision to include both opinions, (Bushing 9, Grob 5), average the grade, and provide both opinions in the final letter.

Since the consignor originally bought the jersey as a 9, he felt he had exposure since the jersey was being sold as a 7.

The letter that Rob Lifson posted on REA's blog was the document I offered the consignor taking full responsibility for the sale.

Currently, the jersey is still consigned under the original consignors name/contract, but due to the descrepancy of the grade, I am now responsible for the sale, (loss or profit) of the jersey in a second contract between myself and consignor.

REA auctions just wanted to bring that information to light so that all potential bidders were aware of all facts.

Regards,

Troy R. Kinunen/MEARS

Last edited by MEARSAUCTIONS; 03-31-2011 at 12:49 PM.