View Single Post
Old 03-15-2012, 10:33 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
I am a clean slate. I have never bought one or know anyone that collects them, but I find them very interesting and have been wanting to start.

I have always found vintage photographs interesting, but there are so many of them I have never known where to start. I am looking for a good resource to find information about vintage photos and how to discern the different types (type 1 - type4).

In particular how can someone tell when the photo was made?

What characteristics are PSA/DNA looking at to make their judgement?

Are there any good books and/or websites that are great resources to educate myself on this large spectrum of collecting?
I recommend starting with David's website: http://www.cycleback.com/

I haven't been impressed with the PSA/DNA photograph-slabbing experiment - it's just led to more trimming of vintage photos, and attempts by auction houses to use terminology that they clearly don't have a good grip on - I've seen several photos incorrectly id'd as type 1's (one questionable one is going to sell tonight for thousands of $$$'s). On the flip side, buyers rely on the 'type' designations now and a lot of non-labeled bargains can be found.

I think we were better off when we were provided good clear scans of both the backs and fronts of untrimmed photos, and made decisions based on those, as opposed to a semi-meaningless photo slab.