View Single Post
Old 10-18-2014, 04:19 PM
Luke Lyon

I agree that it often goes overboard, and the little minute details that some threads call attention to can be a bit of a stretch. However, it makes sense to me in a lot of ways. First, more people collect t206, so more people are going to find a t206 oddity within their collection than say, an e90-3. Second, there is an obvious market for t206 print errors, so there is a financial incentive (whether we like it or not) involved in finding a rare, sought after variation. I think a lot of people may not care too much for the variation they are asking about, they just hope it might be worth a premium to someone else, so they can flip it for a HOFer or another card they really want (this part is just an opinion). Finally, people just love this set, and once they complete it, they still want to be actively involved in collecting it to some degree, so they look for other little niches. Moving on to collecting a Dockman's set (for example) just doesn't have the same allure for most people, so they remain inlvolved in collecting t206s in some form or another. For some people, it's backs, for others it's subsets, and others like the freaks/oddities.

Last edited by Luke; 10-18-2014 at 04:20 PM.