View Single Post
Old 10-18-2014, 04:06 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF Auto Rookies View Post
That when I always look at threads in regards to T206's it seems like everyone is trying to find the "next big variation" of maybe a letter, number, or line etc. that shouldn't be on the card.

I do find it neat, but it is kind of ridiculous when inquiries are made about a dot on a card, line or whatever and to hope it's of value.

I guess where I'm heading is why T206? Why does everyone care so much about a print line, dot, errors, ghosts, or what not in the T206 set but not othets? Why is there no popularity for errors in other sets, why just T206's?

I don't mind nor care, I love learning about our hobby and about the foundation sets that helped build our hobby to where it is today. I just want to know why it seems that everyone is concerned with the T206 set and if a number should be on a hat or not...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I share your question(s) Brent. I don't really have a problem or issue with certain things like WST carrying a crazy premium in one set, when being deemed simply as flaws in any other set... I don't collect them, so it doesn't affect me, and am a big believer in "to each his own", but it is puzzling in regards to T206. Some things like the really extreme ghosts, crazy over overlapping backed cards, crazy 1/2 miscut Cobb/Young are pretty cool to me, but many (off registration, slight WST or ghosting, slight MC) just make the cards look worse IMO. I think tracking marks on backs and stuff in order to identify sheet arrangement is cool too. I appreciate anyone willing to do detective work on anything collecting related, but do think "puffery" goes on too.

Seems the more attention (and/or promotion) they get here, the more hype and demand. Seems similar is happening with varying degrees of success all the time for other things whether it be condition related, set related, player related, or other... And this hype and "puffery" seem to have real effects on value.

I don't have any issue with genuine enthusiasm, or anyone's true wants/tastes... But have mixed feelings on the idea of promoting certain things for self serving purposes (if/when this may happen). When I say "mixed" I mean it, since it's not against any laws or rules to hype. Just leaves me with a funny feeling.