Thread: New member
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2008, 05:44 PM
Administrator

Default New member

Posted By: Paul Muchinsky

Rhys,

I'm sorry I don't know. The complete manifest of the Cameo Pepsin pins have never been documented, to the best of my knowledge. The company also put out a set of boxers from that era. Both the baseball and boxing pins become known when someone stumbles upon one, documents it, and thereby it becomes part of the hobby's knowledge base. At least the baseball pins have strong images. The boxing pins are often mistakenly described as "faded". Although some may be just due to age, the primary reason for their appearance is the very poor contrast between the foreground and background. However, out of respect to the pinmaker, the technology had been patented only two years previously. Rob Lifson recently sold the largest known batch of Cameo Pepsin pins. You may wish to check his catalogue for specimens of your player in question. I know of no better source. The history of pinbacks contains enough stories to break a collector's heart. Bastian Brothers bought out Whitehead and Hoag. One of the conditions of the sale was that the full manifest of all pins WH ever made (sports, political, advertising, fraternal, etc.) would be destroyed. It was. Thus our hobby is continously uncovering new "finds" that once upon a time were fully documented, including press runs. Good luck!