View Single Post
Old 04-28-2005, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Default Should PSA do half grades?

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

I do not feel that there is sufficient advantage in subdividing a vague evaluation criteria description into half grades. I believe that a better approach would be to clearly define a 100 point grading scale to adequately define differences in card condition, bring into focus all factors relevant to card condition and reprioritize the factors which result in card grades.

Some think that this eventuality should be postponed. Others believe as I do, that the sooner that we have established a reasonable guideline, the greater is the resultant strength of the hobby; due to the improvement in credibility generated by the documentation of standardized guideline.

I do not think that a third party grading company should be charged with the responsibility for the drafting of this evaluation criteria. I believe that this effort can and should be originated by hobbiests.

I recognize that a change this substantial will require the regrading of most cards currently slabbed. However, if the guideline is drafted properly far less uncertainty will exist regarding which grade a card falls in.