View Single Post
Old 06-06-2009, 03:36 PM
JeR@Me

Default Peculiar T213-2 Find ??

Recently I won a T213 Type 2 Cy Barger on Ebay and as a collector of Tennessee cards, I knew Barger had played for Memphis, so I was jazzed up about winning this card. I received the card in the mail today and as I analyzed the card, I noticed a strip of what seems like thin paper from another T213 (I presume) with "Memphis" on it. I checked Sabr, and Barger played in 1916 for Memphis, but when I checked the Standard Catalog, I noticed they listed the card as Barger, so I checked Lipset's Encyclopedia, and it shows Barger, Pittsburgh Fed. (No mention of Memphis at all)

So my question is this... Is there a Barger, Memphis card from the Type 2 ? Also, when looking at the scan of his Jersey, what Letter is on Barger's Jersey ? Can anyone validate this card ?

Research tells us that the Type 2 set had many strange cards, with players not on the correct teams, and multi player/team cards due to the Federal League, changing teams, production over a 2-3 year period possibly...

I know the card is authentic, but my guess is the picture is in fact of Barger in a Memphis jersey, and some collector decided to cut and paste Memphis on the card by possibly taking the strip off another T213 Coupon card. I am hopeful, Coupon Type 2 collectors can shed some light on this mystery Barger card.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BargerT213-2.jpg (62.7 KB, 240 views)

Last edited by DixieBaseball; 06-06-2009 at 03:42 PM.