View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 02:07 AM

Default Ron Keurajian's Book - Issues/Disagreements?

I just received Mr. Keurajian's "Baseball Hall of Fame Autographs" book. I am quite impressed with it generally and very pleased to have it as a reference. I don't purport to be an autograph expert - in fact I know I'm a novice in this area (much deeper into cards).

However, I noticed a couple comments on the Board that there might be a few areas of slight disagreement with this author on certain points. I don't want to slam Mr. K, but I am interested in hearing what issues/disagreements Board members have with any part of this book.

Please post your examples in this thread!

I noticed one tonight. Regarding Walt Alston, the author wrote: "Alston's hand remained strong his entire life. A genuine Alston signature will exhibit no shakiness of hand..."

I believe this statement to be incorrect. Alston was enshrined in the HOF in 1983 and he died in 1984. The signatures I have seen from the last year of his life (when he was being asked to sign a lot...post-HOF): (a) do not look like the exemplars Ron K provides, which are older sigs; and (b) often show shakiness and hesitation.

One example is this Gateway cover auto signed in the '83-'84 period. Certainly many collectors would not view this as a good quality Alston auto, but I firmly believe it to be authentic:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gateway Alston.jpg (79.4 KB, 297 views)

Last edited by Bosox Blair; 01-16-2013 at 02:08 AM.