View Single Post
Old 06-25-2011, 06:38 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

I reciently completed my HOF set. I joined this forum with only one player to go (hence the name "almostdone"). I wish I new of this site when I was building it. It took about ten years and the criteria I used is as follows:

1. A card must be from when the player was still active (only two exceptions in my collection one is the card came out the year after he retired and the other is a Mathewson from 1919. It's all I could afford and figured 90 years old is old enough for me).

2. The card had to be issued in order to promote a poroduct (ie, gum, tobacco, a game, etc.) No newspaper clippings or magazines

3. Played from 1909 and on. I just can't think about the 1800's guys on my limited funds.

4. Only players. I do have a Diamond Match Billy Herman but only because his team is listed as the "Boston Bees" and I love baseball history.

5. As big of a variety of types of cards possible. The most of any set I have is 11 T206's. When people view my collection I want them to see not only the players in the HOF but also as wide of a variety of cards as possible. Sort of a tour of cards over the last century.

Occationaly I will upgrase a card here of there but somehow my collection sort fo just fits me and who I am as a collector and lover of the game.

I did post some pics of my displays in the "Show your displays" thread a while back if you would like to take a peek and let me know what you think.

Drew