View Single Post
Old 03-04-2019, 01:08 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Great lithography on the birdies. Thanks again for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Well stated.....Patrick

We appear to have similar thoughts regarding the possibility that the C46 cards were printed by American Lithographic (ALC). Shown here are 3 examples of ALC's
Bird series that you referred to. These 3 examples of the Oriole suggest that this could be true. As all 30 of the Bird images** in the Imperial Tobacco Canada C14
set are identical to ALC's T43 series that was printed and issued in 1911. And, the descriptions of these Birds on the backs of the C14 cards are exactly identical to
the T43 series of cards printed by ALC.

Furthermore, another factor which favors the printing of C46 set by ALC is that the C14 set comprises of a series of 30 cards. I'm a numbers guy, who sees the 90
card C46 set comprising of three series of 30-cards each.

Having said all that, I'm really mystified that the C14 cards were printed with vivid colors; whereas, the C46 cards are a drab brown color. This is inconsistent with
ALC's printing style. This contrast between the C14 and C46 cards gives me cause to pause in my thinking regarding ALC having printed the C46 cards.
Perhaps, a printing firm in Montreal (where the Canadian Imperial Tobacco Co. was based) produced the C46 cards.

Perhaps, some knowledgeable person on this forum will chime in here with specific information which confirms where the C46 cards were printed. And if they were
inserted in Canadian Imperial Tobacco cigarette packs.

C14 (circa 1911 - ?) ……...…......…...........C45 (circa 1911)…….......…T43 (circa 1911)
. . . . .
. . . . . .

** Note…..Why the images are reversed on the C14 cards is a mystery to me.

TED Z

T206 Reference