View Single Post
Old 12-07-2014, 05:24 PM
Bill Gregory

Wow, there's just a lot of bad voodoo going on. Warning, danger, Will Robinson!

First of all, the guy trying to acquire the Mantle sounds desperate, and that sends off all kinds of red flags.

"PSA 10 Munson rookie!"
Ok, add in
"PSA 10 Rice rookie!"
"PSA 10 Montana rookie!"

Soon to be followed by

"PSA 10 Walter Payton rookie!"

Before I proceed at all with a guy like this, I'm telling him "I need a day or two to think about it."

Then, I'm running as fast as my 43 year old, crippled white ass can move me to my desktop computer. I'm firing that baby up, and subscribing to VCP. If there are only 2 PSA 10 Munson rookies, the complete history of those card sales, unless one has been buried in a private collection for quite some time, should be easy enough to find.

Ok, card #1 has PSA cert # ______. Card #2 has PSA cert # _______.

Where does VCP show these two last being sold? #1 was sold at an auction? #2 on EBay? Ok, so, depending on which one the seller claims to have, ask them for some provenance. If they bought a $10,000 card at auction, they're going to be able to show a bank statement with a $10,000 wire, or bank draft, payable to the auction house. They can make a copy of the receipt, and black out portions of the bank account #s, but they should be able to offer you some sort of solid provenance that they are the actual owner of said card.

Short of that, Mr. Mantle would be safely residing in my safe deposit box with my other valuable cards.

You can protect yourself if you are proactive.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.