Thread: 1923 Lections
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2015, 02:57 PM
€dw@rd Sk€£t0n

Default 1923 Lections

Hi all,

I recently picked up this 1923 Lections card. I also have a Shawkey that I got from a B&L auction a while back. This got me to really looking at the Lections, and I thought that I haven't seen a good discussion on this series in the near two years I have been on the board, and that maybe we could have a current discussion about them. From the best I can understand, one school of thought is that these cards were handed out at the Albany, N.Y. fair by politicians. Parents would get a card discussing the candidates platform, and kids would get these cards. Looking at the Pop reports, I see the set has 9 cards; Babe Ruth, Rogers Hornsby, Frank Chance, Emil Meusel, Howard Ehmke, Charles Schmidt, Frank Frisch, Bob Shawkey, and Bob Meusel. So, what I am wondering, does it make sense that this series was printed in a 9 cards set, or do you think there may be another/others that have not surfaced yet; and are there any more current speculations as to how these cards were distributed? I seem to remember reading here about Jon Canfield having come into a group of these that the guy he got them from confirmed that he got them from the Albany fair, but that was a long time ago. Has anything new come to light lately? I am pretty new to the hobby, so I am no expert, but I really like these cards, and would like to know more. (I haven't received this card yet, so I am using the image from the auction)

Also, Please Show Your Cards!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (78.8 KB, 671 views)

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com